Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I must have been a good boy this year.

I must have been a good boy this year.  I came home to find a new craftsman band saw in the empty space in my basement last week.
 We are planning on changing the way we do ornaments next season.  We have been cutting our ornaments out of oak or birch 1/4 plywood.  I believe we are changing to brown maple.  Around here it is relatively cheap and with a band saw I can resaw and plane the rough lumber down to 1/4 inch and make the ornaments out of that.  I have been using maple to make the name ornaments for the past three months and that is how I have been doing that. 
   I was using the table saw to resaw the wood.  Anyone who has ever tried that knows it is not a good idea, especially if you want to keep all of your fingers.  Mrs Clause found out I had a near mishap and I think she may have helped with the band saw.  Thank you Mrs. Clause.
   If anyone has any tips on the best way to resaw lumber I sure could use some help.  Right now I am doing it free hand and it is working OK but I am always up for some good ideas.

No comments: