Monday, October 5, 2009

tap hole maple lamp

This style lamp is one of the reasons that I got into woodworking in the first place. I used to watch my Grandfather make these lamps. He enjoyed making these and the clocks I have previously posted. He had such a good time making these. I retired from the US Navy in 1999 and immediately moved back close to home and bought a house. This house has a nice unfinished basement that was quickly turned into a wood shop. It all started with a visit to my Grandfathers house and One simple question. I asked Gramps if I bought a few woodworking tools would you show me how to make these lamps. Of course he said yes. The next day I made a trip to Home Depot and this is how it all began. It started with a cheap table saw and a sander and now has consumed a large part of my basement. The lamp in this picture was made for my sister Lea and the cradle was made for my grand neice, her granddaughter. These were both made several years ago and were posted on my previous blog but are worth bringing back out and showing off. The lamp is made out of Maple and the holes you see in it are where someone put a tap in the tree to make maple syrup.
DUI Help Florida

No comments: